[TenTec] Receiver Specs - Orion et al

Clark Savage Turner csturner at kcbx.net
Fri Jul 9 16:45:07 EDT 2004

On Friday, July 9, 2004, at 12:34 PM, Bill Meahan wrote:

> I can't speak to the Orion (I don't own one) but I do own a TenTec
> Corsair II. The other night I was playing around comparing (by ear) my
> new ultra-high-tech FT-817 vs the

The 817 is one of the lowest entry level rigs that Yaesu offers.  Not a
particularly good comparison :-)   You can buy a brand new 817 for less
than most Corsair II's go for used.  And it does have a different
engineering design goal.  Apples and oranges.

> Great googledy-moogledy! The Corsair was extremely quiet - just a
> barely-audible hiss. The FT-817, however had an S3-S5 noise level, even
> with the preamp off!!

Love the Zappa reference (pretty obscure!)
BUT, if the 817 had S3- S5 noise level into a dummy load, it was
defective.  Send it in for service (Yaesu has pretty good telephone help
and a responsive service center).

Clark
WA3JPG