[TenTec] Receiver Specs - Orion et al

Bill Meahan wmeahan at wa8tzg.org
Fri Jul 9 17:13:48 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:45:07 -0700
Clark Savage Turner <csturner at kcbx.net> wrote:

> The 817 is one of the lowest entry level rigs that Yaesu offers.  Not a
> particularly good comparison :-)   You can buy a brand new 817 for less
> than most Corsair II's go for used.  And it does have a different
> engineering design goal.  Apples and oranges.

I'm not offering a direct comparison, just a data point. The 817 is what it is and I bought it for QRP-portable and will keep it for that. A Corsair is a bit big to carry to the park for operation while my granddaughter playes on the playscape :-) OTOH, most of Yaesu's 8x7 series have very similar designs, differing largely in the power output module. And, I'm not sure "entry-level" is the correct description since QRP rigs are usually not targeted at first-timers. I'll agree, however, that it's not targeted at the die-hard DX'er or contest maven!

Actually, the only reason I hadn't sold the Corsair earlier was the poor price they seem to be bringing on eBay - often _less_ than what FT-817's bring. While eBay doesn't completely define the market, I would contend it does define the _average_ price.

> > Great googledy-moogledy! The Corsair was extremely quiet - just a
> > barely-audible hiss. The FT-817, however had an S3-S5 noise level, even
> > with the preamp off!!
>
> Love the Zappa reference (pretty obscure!)
> BUT, if the 817 had S3- S5 noise level into a dummy load, it was
> defective.  Send it in for service (Yaesu has pretty good telephone help
> and a responsive service center).

That's not the common opinion of those on the 817 list :-) Either point!

What I find sad is that, in general, ham rigs seem to be becoming poorer and poorer at being _radios_ while gaining more and more "bells and whistles" that, while sometimes (or even often) useful, nevertheless are (IMHO) often poor tradeoffs for the losses in the "radio" department.

Still, to each his or her own. YMMV. Whatever floats your boat. Etc.

BTW, I sent the _Corsair_ off for service! Strictly PM, though. I've decided to keep it for the duration and thought it better to give it some TLC before it starts developing problems. Besides, it's a good rig and deserves a little vacation at the Ten-Tec spa (and Dollywood) :-)  :-)  :-)

--
Bill Meahan   wmeahan at wa8tzg.org     Ham:  WA8TZG    GMRS:  WPXM723
 "Progress is made by two kinds of people: