[TenTec] Re: An example of changing Orionfirmwaretomeetexpectations

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Sun Jul 11 13:47:04 EDT 2004

Hi Grant --

   Yes, you're missing a point which I didn't make clear.

   Of course overwriting the B VFO frequency is the desired result when one purposely pushes the A>B button.  The human factors
issues come in to play because we make mistakes.  What if one didn't intend to push that particular button?  Now you're in a
position where it is difficult to recover, if recovery is possible.  In this example, if A>B was pressed accidentally, then you need
to remember what the B VFO frequency was before in order to effect a recovery.

   Even worse, suppose that you intended to copy the B VFO into A, but press the A>B button instead?  Those two buttons are
adjacent.  A sleepy operator, or someone slightly lesdyxic, or someone in a hurry could press that button.  And look at the state of
the radio thereafter: the B VFO frequency is lost, and the frequency now in both B and A is not what was desired.  This is
definitely the time to have a un-do function.

   My earlier message was an attempt to broaden the issue under consideration so that any improvement provided both an un-do
capability as well as a "copy the frequency only" and "copy frequency and other receiver parameters" into the A>B and B>A actions.
Secondly, the push-and-hold action takes longer than a double-push.  A double-push would be a better choice for the "copy frequency
and parameters" action, reserving the push-and-hold for unusual situations (e.g., recover from operator error).

   Hope this is clearer.

-- Eric