[TenTec] Re: An example of changing Orionfirmwaretomeetexpectations

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Sun Jul 11 16:18:06 EDT 2004

Hi Grant --

   Yes, pushing the wrong button is an error on the part of the user -- 'cockpit error', as you put it.  One of the characteristics
of man-machine interfaces that folks find "easy to use" vs "tricky" or "fussy" is the degree of tolerance for, and ability to
recover from, human error.

   A general "undo" button can work, but is more difficult to design.  This is because of the large scope of the design task.  One
has to consider what pushing the "undo" button does in relation to every other man-machine event (buttons, menu selections, etc) in
the system.

   As an example, what does the "undo" button perform, if the previous event was that the user pushed the NR button to turn the NR
on?  Does Undo turn NR back off, and thus become another way of reversing the sense of a push-push button.  ("Push-push" means push
to switch on, push to turn off.)  If the immediately previous action was that the user turned the VFO A knob, does Undo crank back
the frequency change?  If so, how far back?

   It's certainly feasible to have a very good, generic Undo button.  But one just has to take the time to work through its
implications and then do some testing with real users to make sure the design choices were good ones.

   Stepping up one conceptual level, a good design would either have (a) a generic Undo function, or (b) a consistent way of
invoking the Undo capability for specific functions.  Approach (b) requires nearly the same level of careful thought as (a).

   And now I'm sure folks on the reflector have read more than they care to about the nuances of man-machine interface design!!  I
apologize if this has gone beyond entertaining...

-- Eric K3NA