[TenTec] Orion VFO vs RX philosophy

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Mon Jul 12 13:06:24 EDT 2004

Kinda funny. Everyone wants what they want...me too! I want ALL of the
firmware problems fixed! And for me, there are only three 'major' firmware
problems remaining, i.e., Keying Loop (so the Orion can be used full QSK
with a Ten Tec amp), random loss of rcvr audio, and the loud random audio
popping when your using the keying loop. As far as I can  tell at the
moment, the remaining issues are cosmetic.

CHANGE happens! But we all always resist it. Just look how  many horses are
plodding around in the fields TODAY still waiting to be called on to pull a
wagon!

Initially, I though the whole Orion layout was quite crazy. But after I
allowed my brain cell to accept the 'VFO is not a receiver' concept and then
started using the Orion in earnest, the whole front panel quickly became
quite effective for me. Initially I had brain cell freeze when I saw the
audio controls so close to the VFO knobs...thinking as a costester, I just
knew it was going to be a disaster. It certainly has not turned out to be
that way with me. I've found during high activity contesting, everything is
very intuative and easy to get to. Everything except programmable AGC, that
is. I think a certain contester had a lot of input to the front panel layout
design..thank goodness!

For me, I seldom use (so far) the SubRX. Simply because the split VFO
operation, after v1.370, has just been excellent. I LOCK the Main rcvr VFO
on the run station, which negates my bumping the VFO A knob (which I seem to
have a knack of doing!). If your transmitting on  VFO B, just a quick press
of the MAIN rcvr button to VFO B, lets you check activity on your xmit
frequency. I prefer this because I get somewhat annoyed when folks are
calling the run station while he is transmitting, and I don't want to listen
to that. That kind of operation certainly can be achieved in a heck of a lot
shorter time than it takes to explain it.

Tom  - W4BQF