[TenTec] Ten Tec Net

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Mon Jul 19 03:01:44 EDT 2004

>    Thanks to the "media" for using non legal time zone designators.
>    This is why amateurs use (Z)ulu or GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
>    I applaud TenTec for using Z times only

Once upon a time the ARRL used Z, GMT or UTC for the W1AW schedule. Part
of learning to be a radio operator was learning about time zones and
knowing the conversion for you own local time to/from GMT, so that you
could speak the same (time) language as radio operators all over the
world. This is now too difficult for the ARRL, I have been told. So now
they have the W1AW schedule listed for all of the time zones in North
America, and just can't find the space to list the UTC times, or the
brain power to keep it right throughout the year as W1AW's schedule
remains constant for places that use daylight slavings time. I guess
they expect the ionosphere to comply with daylight slavings too.

DE N6KB, not in North America