[TenTec] Orion NB button

Martin Ewing martin at aa6e.net
Mon Jul 19 12:59:22 EDT 2004

Easy question:  Does anyone use the Orion's NB button?  When is it
useful?  When is the ":HW" option needed?

Maybe I live in a blissful radio quiet zone, but my NB (1.371) seems to
be a no-op.  Nothing changes, even when I put it full on: 9:HW.  I could
start up my lawnmower just to give it serious impulse noise, but
normally lawnmowing and ham operation are anti-correlated around here.

What we need these days is effective atmospheric noise blanking (and
shortly BPL blanking?), but Orion's NB doesn't solve those problems.

Cheers,
Martin