[TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion Mike plug

WB3LGC at aol.com WB3LGC at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 17:54:21 EDT 2004

I am also a new buyer (purchased back at June 9th - don't expect it to be
shipped until first or second week in August.)

I purchased a Goldline, Heil cable, and a XLR connector as the mike for the
Orion.  The four pin XLR also has a "case" connection for the shield and pins
(2) for the mike and pins for the PTT (2).  If you open up the mike, the case
provides the shield for the microphone wires.

Pin 4, on the goldline is PTT and on the Orion +9VDC -- not sure why you
would want to ground it? (Heil must also mean for you to remove the +9VDC
connection from the Orion. -- that is a nice idea...)

I had seen a few emails back last month about Ten-Tec changing the way the
connector was grounded for the Orion as it comes from the Factory.  I can't
verify the information, at this time.  As I am still waiting, I'll know in a few
weeks.  the trick seems to get the cable shield and the 4-pin Orion connector
shell grounded.  BTW, Heil Wire has two (2) mike wires with shield plus two (2)
PTT wires (unshielded) -- nice heavy cable.

73, Steve

In a message dated 7/20/2004 1:05:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,