[TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion Mike plug

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 21:47:09 EDT 2004

> Pin 4, on the goldline is PTT and on the Orion +9VDC -- not sure why
> you would want to ground it? (Heil must also mean for you to remove
> the +9VDC connection from the Orion. -- that is a nice idea...)

Something is amiss here ... you clearly don't want to ground the Orion
+9V supply, and you don't need to "remove" it either.  So if whatever
cable you have matches up your mic's PTT with the Orion +9V, it isn't
going to work.

Bob makes decent enough microphones, but if your radio differs from the
import pack in it's mic connector configuration he's pretty slow to deal
with it -- other than tell you it's your problem to chop your radio.  All the
older  Icoms with preamps in the mics are the best example ... the early
Heil solution was to tell you to crank on the speech processor instead of
providing an inline preamp (which he finally did, but it took forever).  And
in the meantime, if you ordered an "icom" version of his mic,  it was up to
the buyer to figure out it really didn't work.

In my opine (not worth much) if you're going to buy a Goldline and then
entertain surgery on the radio, why not just use a Heil/T-T Studio One
and solve the problem?  Better solution ..

Grant/NQ5T