[TenTec] Re: Heil ProSet on Orion - reprise

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 23 11:14:02 EDT 2004

AC5AA wrote:
 >Bill notes that the "cable
shield" connection (which goes to Pin 2 on the Orion mic connector) is, I
believe, how the Heil adapter is wired (with both mic shield, single wire
shielded and PTT return wired together on Pin 2).

         This is correct on my Heil AD-1-T (purchased new last
summer).  Both the
mic shield and PTT return are wired together on Pin 2, with NO connections
to the metal shell.  Heil's webpage suggestion, which Paul Clinton says does
NOT work for Orion, adds a wire from Pin 2 (shield) to the metal shell:
http://www.heilsound.com/harmonics.htm#RFI

         I hope either Paul Clinton will call Bob Heil or vice versa and get
Heil's webpage to clearly state that his mod does NOT apply to Orion (if
I have this correct).  It's ridiculous that we have two manufacturers
recommending two different connection schemes for such a simple thing
as a microphone/PTT connection.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV