[TenTec] omni v short dits

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sat Jul 24 19:44:16 EDT 2004

I've been looking for you on 40m!

Yes. I recently bought a used Omni 6 Plus and found out that it had a
'timing problem'. When sending the letter 'U', the first dot would be
shortened from 20ms to about 12ms and the second dot was almost
non-existant, about 8ms wide with the keying input second dots width at
20ms. My Omni 6 Plus will be shipped back to TT this week for work.

The Orion is quite unstable at speeds over about 42 wpm. Over 42 wpm, the
width of the dots vary and the initial delay varies and the spacing between
elements vary several milliseconds each time the letter is sent. This occurs
if you use a reed relay for keying or if you use an open collector for
keying. Below about 40 wpm, both the Omni 6 Plus and the Orion follows the
keying input quite well.

My old (1992) Omni 6 and my Corsair 2 will handle anything you throw at it,
understanding that the Omni 6 will not send CW much over about 68 wpm. I've
watched on my scope,  my Corsair 2 sending the 'Quick Brown Fox....' message
at 160 wpm, following the keying input waveform. And rig wise,  it's
downhill from there!!

Tom - W4BQF