[TenTec] Re: BTW what is the best QSK radio?

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Sun Jul 25 08:42:41 EDT 2004

Hi Martin,

First, thanks very much for keeping the country files updated for YPlog. I
still use and love that program!

I do a lot of high speed (mostly over 60 wpm) full QSK CW operations, so QSK
is very important to me. If the rig won't handle full QSK, it does not stay
around my radio room very long. Over the past, say 20 years, I've used quite
a few radios with varying experiences with them in terms of full and fast
QSK. I personally would say the very best I've ever had was the Icom IC-781
and the Ten Tec Corsair 2. Not too far behind those two is the Omni 6, which
does have excellent QSK, but is limited in it's top speed of around 68 wpm.

For contesting and rag chewing at slower speeds, most of the current radios
do quite well, even the FT-1000MP, which is a dog at high speed, performs
very good below 40 wpm or so. Most all of the Ten Tec radios that I have
used are set up excellent for QSK. The new Orion's QSK is quite good, but
there are a few issues if you use it over about 40 wpm, at least there are
on the two that I presently have here.

If I were to want to buy the best all-round radio, for me, I would go for
the IC-781, the Omni 6 Plus, and then the Omni 6. Keep in mind that's just
my own personal choices.

Thank again for the files updates Martin.

73,

Tom - W4BQF