[TenTec] vertical radials

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Mon Jun 7 16:43:45 EDT 2004

Actually, if you measure the current along an on-ground radial you will find there's virtually no current flowing in the radial much beyond the 1/10th wavelength point. And the current falls off even faster in a buried radial.

Earth is essentially a dialectric, making a buried radial a conductor with an indeterminate but  fairly low propagation velocity.  Indeterminate because there are too many variations in even a short length of dirt to pin down.  But the bottom line is a physically short radial will be electrically long.

If you are going to elevate a radial system that's another matter but 60 feet for Top Band will do just about everything that can be done for the radiator. But since what you think has an effect on how well our toys play; if you feel industrious and don't mind lightening your wallet a bunch more there's nothing wrong with planting longer radials; or in planting a dozen long radials and keep the rest down to the tenth wave or so length.  Or even 120 full quarter wave radials.

If you insist on #14  copper, and full length radials, you are looking at, off the top of my head, just about 200 pounds worth.  And I just got a notice today the price of copper has gone up. Which made an order for brass a few hundred more than the April quote. Oh well!

But personally, and seriously,  If I were serious about Top Band I would put down the shorter radials with a Rohn 25 base - and start accumulating 14 or 15 sections of 25 to replace the Hy Tower later.  It will work better than anything you can do with the shorter tower.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on