[TenTec] transceiver test

Cliff KD4GT kd4gt at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 7 19:55:12 EDT 2004

> From: K4TAX
> But with today's radios an the digital readouts that
> go to 1 Hz, some folks camp on a number followed by
> a bunch of zeros and refuse to turn the knob.

Many people try to equate accuracy with precision. The display may have 1Hz
precision but that does not indicate the master oscillator has that same
degree of accuracy. Just because you can tell one signal is 17Hz from
another, doesn't mean you have 1Hz accuracy of what frequency either signal
might actually be.
Secondly, few SSB (or DSBss) radios can actually determine where the carrier
really was. Remember we suppressed it and put most of our RF into the part
that makes a difference for passing information. Few of us could afford a
radio that could actually 'auto-tune' to the real transmitted signal.
Personally, as long as I can get the grid square and call sign right, I
don't care if they sound like donald duck or minnie mouse! For casual rag
chewing, I'll tune my rig to what they want to hear and use the RIT to keep
me happy. I have tin ears from years of working with my head inside of line
printers! The next generation will have tin ears from years of listening to
their music. (Fun to watch the tail lights dim in time with the boom!)

73 (es tuning) de KD4GT