[TenTec] Re: Contesting

NJ0IP Rick at dj0ip.de
Thu Jun 10 12:36:22 EDT 2004

Gentlemen, Tom has called for a conclusion (but left me the option of
drawing myself a beer instead - TNX Tom).

BEFORE I state my conclusion, I think it is only fair for me to state what I
had already concluded before posting the question - then let the guys blow
it out of the water.

In my opinion, SDR:

1. Enables manufacturers to lower their development and manufacturering
costs for transceivers. Most of the cost will be in software programming,
but once the lines of code exist, they may be reused in future radios.  This
should mean faster time-to-market for all subsequent radios.  We contesters
get the features sooner.

2. Now, assuming they pass these costs reductions on the us hams:  Lowers
the entry-level cost for a "Contest-Grade" transceiver.

(What's that? - One that has a decent front end which works in Europe as
well as in the states, and then enough filters for us contesters.  Before
the ORION, (past 20 years), I either had seperate radios for CW and SSB, or
I would remove the skins before each contest and manually swap out filters
to get the radio set up for the upcoming contest).

3. Adds features which we formerly didn't have (e.g., programable AGC,
complex NR, multiple user preferences, etc.).

4. Enables users' suggestions for improvement to be integrated into the
radio (at a later date and for free).

5. Improves the residual value of the radio should you decide to sell it at
a future date (because it doesn't get old as quickly as a "MK-I" vs.
"MK-II".

End

YES, I know many of these things could be realized in traditional radios
without the need for SDR, but then the radio would be priced outside of my
pocketbook.

Today's the first day of yet another 4-day weekend here in Bavaria.  My ham
club (DK0EE) is having a 4-day beer fest by a lake.  I'm certainly going to
draw that beer Tom offered!  However we (my family and I) probably won't go
until tomorrow so I'll be "listening" here until we go.

73
Rick