[TenTec] The "What is SDR?" question

Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales sales at tentec.com
Thu Jun 10 10:40:54 EDT 2004

Back in November of 2003, I posted a definition of SDR in response to
another discussion that went on here about "What's an SDR?"

The original post was titled "SDR vs. SDR" and is located at URL:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/TenTec/2003-11/msg00547.html

Here it is repeated:
--------------------------------
"What's an SDR?"

I'll take the U.S. government's opinion, as they - more than any other
entity - have been vitally interested in the topic. There is endless
reading available by surfing the Internet. One of the better explanations
I've read recently that anyone can understand is located on the NTIA
website at this URL:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/newsletr/fall01/SDR.html

Excerpt:

"While there are differing opinions as to what an SDR actually is, a good
general definition of an SDR is found in the recently adopted American
National Standard, Telecom Glossary 2000. An SDR consists of a receiver
and/or transmitter with the following properties: (a) the received signal
is digitized and then processed using software-programmable digital signal
processing techniques (digitization may occur at the RF, IF, or baseband);
and (b) the modulated signal to be transmitted is generated as a digital
signal using software-programmable digital signal processing techniques.
The digital signal is then converted to an analog signal for transmission
(the conversion to analog may occur at baseband, IF, or RF)."
--------------------------

The key being the statement "software-programmable" - that software
(firmware) is used to change
modulation characteristics.

SDR is the future of all radio services - amateur, commercial,
military.  For some really interesting reading
on the possibilities for SDR's in the future, have a look at some of the
discussion on cognitive radio.
A sample is here:  http://www.fcc.gov/oet/cognitiveradio/ - the
applications for amateur radio are a
question mark at the moment, but this is clearly where the future of
two-way radio is headed.
A Google search on "cognitive radio" may also be instructive.

73
Scott Robbins W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec, Inc.

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
   Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
   Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
   Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
   Email:  New product sales/product info         sales at tentec.com
              Service department                         service at tentec.com
   While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
   the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
   more complete answer to your inquiries.  Thanks!