[TenTec] Orion serial thought

Ken Hunter kenh at hunters.org
Wed Jun 23 22:34:51 EDT 2004

Serial Ports:

I will chime in on the serial port chatter. I work with Intel and Mac based
motherboards every day. Alot of times- I have devices or comm programs
listening on the 'other' side of that serial port.

So - if you have a device connected to a serial port - where that device is
a type that polls his connection - or can come under the influence of
signals on that port - you can pretty well count on some 'oolies' as we
call them occurring when you restart your pc, etc.

I would bet the Orion will ignore signal influence on that port unless
configured to interact with it via its menus, etc.

73 de Ken
WI4CW

At 6/23/2004 17:58, you wrote:
>Well Tom. Just think. If you have some RF on your serial cable and you're
>sending cw at your usual 70 wpm, the Orion might interpet your dits and dahs
>as ascii data. CQ de W4BQF might translate to "screw up radio" in Orion
>speak.
>Anyway. I wonder what would happen if one were to first, initilize the rig
>then reload the firmware and finally, disconnect the serial cable and put it
>away for another day. Maybe, just maybe, there's some PCs out there that are
>spitting out some unwanted data from their serial ports in the Orion. Let's
>find out.
>Steve N4LQ

-

Prayers and support for our troops out there on the edge.