[TenTec] guide to adjusting Orion receiver; filters and performance

Sinisa Hristov shristov at ptt.yu
Tue Mar 2 21:16:01 EST 2004

Jim Reid wrote:

> 0045 UTC,  or 2:45 pm Hawaii Standard Time

ICEPAC thinks that's about time for the noise level to start rising.

> Well,  I am about 2 miles inland from the South facing
> coast of Kauai,  and at an altitude of some 500 feet ASL.
> Antennas have a clear view of the ocean over nearly
> 200 degrees of Azimuth,  centered nearly directly South.

Compared to that, I have a clear view of,
well, apartment building across the street :-)

> Yes,  the 40 meter antenna is an 80 meter doublet,
> center fed using 600 ohm (4 inch spaced) open wire
> line.  The antenna length is about 125 feet;  the open
> wire feeder is about another 100 feet.  The tuner is
> an "ancient" E F Johnson kW Matchbox,  balanced
> tuner.  The tuner is from the 1950's,  hi.  It cost all
> of $124.50 when brand new!

Got one on eBay, the best ham-related investment
I ever made, even better than Orion :-)

Then I guess you don't have too much loss.

With almost the same setup, but only half of the height
I got -171 dBW/Hz during the day, rising to -160 dBW
overnight. Measured last May using spectrum analyzer.
Quite a difference from your -184 or -181 dBW/Hz.
Must see what I have now.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN