[TenTec] Re: [WCARC] BPL Rollout A PLAN of ACTION

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Mar 3 22:48:48 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill KB9IV" <wmarvin at mnic.net>

> Hello All,
>
> I believe the part for intentionally interfering or causing
> interference to a FCC authorized
> communication will result in hefty fines, incarceration.
> Even planning or
> organizing it is a crime.
> I'd drop it if I were you...............lets stick to Ten
> Tec.
>
> Best 73,
>
> Bill  KB9IV

Wait a minute!! Don't forget that we are the authorized
radio service, not BPL. FCC rules don't protect BPL from
interference that it might suffer in the presence of LEGALLY
AUTHORIZED RADIO TRANSMISSIONS. BPL is a part 15
device. Its is not a licensed radio service. They are legally
obliged to cease operation if they cause interference to
amateur communications. Likewise, part 15 offers them
NO protection against interference that they might suffer in
the presence of our transmissions.

You guys are already falling into the trap of believing that
we are somehow secondary users of the HF radiospectrum,
and that BPL is a primary service. BPL is not a radio
service at all. Unless your in a radio quiet zone (like Green
Bank, WV), there is NO legal restriction against you going
anywhere in this country and operating you amateur radio
station, provided that you comply with the rules of part 97.
Part 97 says that you cannot intentionally interfere with other
radio services. It does NOT say that you have to shutdown
if you interfere with a part 15 device, provided that your
signals comply with the emissions requirements set forth
part 97 (e.g. bandwidth, harmonic level, maximum
permissable EMF exposure, etc).

I see no reason why you can't convoy with friends to a BPL
field trial site in order to survey the QRM level. If you happen
to talk to each other on HF while surveying the area, what
law are you breaking? Why would this be any different than
going to convoying to Yosemite and using HF mobiles to
stay-in-touch along the way? If BPL suffers from this kind
of interference, then BPL operators will need to figure out
how to address the issue. Granted that while the FCC
will probably not look favorably on amateur transmission
that are aimed soley at QRMing BPL (for the most part, we
are prohibited from "broadcasting"), they will have to
address the situation where the interference is incidental
(I am carrying on a mobile QSO and just happen by chance
- and perhaps unknowingly - to be in the proximity of a BPL
system). The causes are the same in both cases (e.g. HF
mobile near power line).