[TenTec] 80 meter loops

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Mon Mar 15 11:18:35 EST 2004

Admittingly, this is a great discussion, although not specifically Tentec
related.

I have 2 complete Tentec stations being a Paragon and an Omni VI+ on my
property.  Here's the antennas for the Tentec's.  The 80/75M antennas at one
station are 2 inverted V's being 1/2 wavelength electrically, one with the
apex at 35 ft and one at 120 ft.  Clearly there is a marked difference in
the performance of each one.  The lower one is great for less than 200 mile
contacts the other is great for much longer distances.  Consistent proof day
in and day out with contacts is the basis for my statements.  The antennas
are fed with 1/2" Andrew hard-line and 1:1 current baluns at the center.
The 3rd antenna is a 2 wavelength 160M (1024 ft) loop fed with open wire.
Its height varies from 100 ft to 55 ft. in more of an umbrella fashion with
2 opposite corners at 75 ft, one at 100 ft and one at 35 ft.   It out
performs each of the inverted V's on all bands day in and day out.

As to how to technically explain it, I won't try.  As to rag chewing or
working DX on low bands, I'll stay with the winning loop all the time.  More
wire, more performance.

73
Bob, K4TAX