[TenTec] 80 meter loops

Ron Feutz feutz at wctc.net
Wed Mar 17 12:21:10 EST 2004

TT'ers,

My own experience is with a single vertical 40 M loop fed 1/4 wave down
from the apex and built over the radial field of my 160M 4-square which was
built on a swamp.  Pretty near ideal conditions for a vertical radiator.
The bottom wire of the loop was just high enough so the deer could walk
under.  The first contact was an Asiatic Russian who gave me a 20 over
report - I was running 100 watts. I very seldom had to call any  EU, or
VK/ZL more than once.  I'm at a new QTH now and would like to put up some
more vertical loops, probably a couple of them in 2 element, switchable
form.  I won't have the radial field or the swamp to enhance things,
although I believe my ground is above average.

Has anyone here ever compared a 2 element parasitic vertical loop array,
apex at 40-45',  to a shorty-forty at "usual" heights, say 60-70', or
higher, say 110'?

73,

Ron - WA9IRV