[TenTec] Re: [Orion] Raspy Receive CW Note Problem Solved

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Thu Mar 18 10:57:36 EST 2004

Rich, thanks for your confirmation that this is a known problem and that
a master reset eliminates it.  BTW, the problem resurfaced last night
about 60 minutes after I had tried the reset.  I have not connected the
behavior with any particular mode or function being on.  I have only
used the Orion on CW so far.  I do use the sweep.  I noticed that the
received signals did indeed seem poor and the band (40M) sounded very
noisy last night.  I wasn't sure whether it was the RX or the band was
lousy.  (Unfortunately, about three days after I received the Orion, my
1000MP lost its audio and I had no way of comparing the two.)  I didn't
notice any lettering as you describe and I never lost TX function, but
I'll be checking things again this morning.

Up to this point, the unit had been working well and I had been fine
tuning parameters according to the manual and Sinisa's and Yuri's
suggestions.  I actually thought the September revision to the manual
was pretty good.  I notice that Sinisa's and the manual's "all purpose"
AGC recommendations differ, but I'll be comparing them more thoroughly
as I get to understand the AGC parameters better and become more
familiar with the rig.

Thanks for your help.

73, Joe