[TenTec] wanting to upgrade

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 21:28:02 EST 2004

John, I'm far from being a "golden ear," but the Orion ordinarily has very good CW and excellent SSB audio. That was one of the major comments when I had a 756PRO II here for a one on one shootout. Another being how well the Orion held up when my neighbor across the next block fired up.

Of course, you can do so much audio tailoring on the Orion that results become less than satisfactory. But for general use 2400 Hz RX BW and the RX EQ at - 6 works for me. Or more bandwidth and less EQ when it's appropriate and signals are above the noise.

For DXing, 2200 Hz or less, with the EQ at whatever seems appropriate to conditions and with perhaps some cut and PBT dialed in to further reduce the bandpass also works. Especially when the DX is listening "one up."

Fortunately, the audio is available with a couple of key touches and the BW/PBT and CUT are front panel controls. Bottom line - if general performance with good audio is important to you, buy an Orion.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E