[TenTec] Re: Toasting those cores....

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 17:25:20 EST 2004

Cable Xperts (www.cablexperts.com) has a decent selection of teflon coax - and will sell you what you need.

I have also noted roll ends of various and sundry teflon coax on E-bay, select business and industrial on the browse page, then wire and cable. The price per foot is less heart stopping - but you may have to buy more than you need.

And on the subject at hand I have toasted a few cores in my day, and they always either recovered nicely or shattered. If you are going to use a ferrite current balun with more than a barefoot rig put it where serious overheating won't set something on fire. Especially your house!!!

And finally, it seems the original question on this thread had to do with why a voltage balun didn't keep RF off the coax shield. Mainly because a voltage balun is more of an impedance matching transformer than a current blocking device.

There is still no such thing as a perfectly balanced matching transformer so some RF winds up on the outside of the coax shield where we don't want it.  A voltage balun at a beam's driven element immediately backed with a current balun makes a noticible difference in the beam's F/B - especially when W6 is from 140 to 220 degrees from the DX! That's most of the time in Mississippi.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E