[TenTec] ARRL's BPL NPRM response is out

K4IA at aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Tue May 4 17:56:56 EDT 2004

In a message dated 5/4/2004 16:22:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rohre at arlut.utexas.edu writes:
there was inference to propagated

Inference is not strong enough.  Clearly, we are talking to people who don't
understand radio.  The discussion is bogged down in point vs. line source and
20db vs 40db attenuation at x feet from the wire.  The principals of
propagation need to be taught and emphasized.

The discussion should be about a smog of unidentifiable BPL signals bouncing
all over the world.  Frankly I am more concerned about that than arguing about
a point or line source 100 meters from my house.

By focusing on the source, we trivialize the problem -- "Oh, it only affects
a few oddball geeky ham operators who can turn their antennas away."  By
focusing on propagation we involve the world.

Radio k4ia
"Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA