[TenTec] Insertion loss; and ground loops

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Sat May 8 13:18:23 EDT 2004

It would actually make sense to use the filter with the least insertion loss - provided there is not enough IF gain to compensate for the higher loss of a narrower filter. That's something that was a serious problem with solid state rigs a few generations ago; in particular a mistake I bought that had most of its gain in the last IF and audio stages.  However the Orion has plenty of gain, so any loss of gain with a narrower filter should not be an issue. In fact, I had rather there were a little less gain in the 250 Hz filter position.

On grounding the rig, I don't, haven't, and don't intend to. I do have a heavy duty ground "rod,"  a piece of oil well drill stem, running directly from the tower to below the permanant water level for the primary lightning ground.

The RF ground is at the bulkhead where the transmission lines go under the house to come into the shack; some 25 feet from the front bedroom I use as a shack. There are a pair of rods attached to the bulkhead with four 8" "starter cables" from the NAPA store - two cables to a rod. Those rods are connected to four more rods, two up and down the foundation at 8' from the primary rods, plus two 16' out in the yard. The connections are made with half inch refrigeration tubing brazed to the rods.

The RF ground is short, solid, and so far there's been no RF in the shack. Even the semi-shielded audio cables from the local branch of a national chain don't give me the problems others complain about.

I will have a better safety ground than the AC plug's "pin" at the new shack but for the time being the grounded wiring is the only safety ground. Or until I get enough of a shock to attract my attention at any rate.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

--
Never squat with your spurs on