[TenTec] Re: Orion and SteppIr

Lawrence Stoskopf stoskopf at tri.net
Mon Nov 1 09:56:28 EST 2004

Operated in the WWSSB for half of the contest.  ORION worked perfectly as
always.  It didn't get me Zone 22, but 39/40 isn't bad and I can't blame the
programmers for that!!!!

I got my 4 el SteppIR just before the contest.  Hooked it up with WriteLog
using the Wye connector supplied.  No Joy.  It would fire up with the
correct frequency on WL and then WL would say, "No Rig!".  Never got a
signal to the SteppIR controller.  Tried a straight thru cord and nothing.
WL doesn't have a Comm selector for 57600 baud so tried editing writelog.ini
to that setting.  Nothing.  Then put one of the USB/RS232 adapters in line.
Again nothing.  Am I missing something!  Brains?

BTW.  The SteppIr works wonders, especially in the evening when JAs are NW
and SA is SE.  The reverse mode works quickly and its fun to listen for a
couple of seconds as one set of signals goes into the mud while the other
goes over S9!  The BW is rather narrow so manual mode is a bit demanding.

Thanks,

N0UU