[TenTec] QSK/QRQ problem with Orion / ACOM 2000A

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Wed Nov 10 09:35:55 EST 2004

Rick....

Your friends problem is not funny, but I just have to sit here and
chuckle to myself. For some 14 months I have been talking about this
problem and having to read the responses of how I must be too dumb
to know how to set up a ham station. The Keying Loop and the
constant time-shifted CW characters WAS and it STILL IS a firmware
problem with the Orion. Everyone will tell your friend that what he
is experiencing just is not true, but none of these folks are
running CW at speeds over 40 wpm, they just 'forget' to add that
fact. But I will tell you that it IS a firmware problem. And at this
point, I'm almost convinced that Ten Tec does not know how to solve
it.Unfortunately if your friend calls Ten Tec about this, they are
NOW telling Orion owners that none of their transceivers are
guaranteed to operate QSK above 40 wpm, but they can't explain why
if that is the case, their internal keyer is spec'd to operate up to
60 wpm! If you look at the spec's of the Orion, you will not find
any mention of QSK, therefore Ten Tec can verbally tell the user
what ever they wish, and not have to deal with the problem.

To me, what is really sad, is that Ten Tec built its sterling
reputation among CW operators of always producing the very BEST full
QSK CW radio available. This is no longer true today, IF you enjoy
running CW over about 40 wpm. The sad part, espically coming from
the company I truely admired for many, many years, it is now 'let
the customer beware'!

In my opinion, if your friend pays some $3300 + USD for a
transceiver, plus what ever additional for an amplifier, he SHOULD
NOT then have to go out and buy a special keyer to make them work
together!

My Omni 6 Plus was sent back to Ten Tec to revert back to logic chip
v1.02, simply because it also would not key over 40wpm. I was
resoundingly told by the manager of the Ten Tec repair department
that reverting back to logic chip v1.02 "had nothing to do with QSK
or it's ability to send CW over 40wpm", however after having that
change made to my Plus, it now works quite well up to 75 wpm.

My Orion still will not work correctly when using my Titan 3
amplifier in the Keying Loop, however, maricously, the Titan 3 plays
flawless when being driven by my Omni 6 Plus or my Icom IC-781.

Tom - W4BQF