[TenTec] QSK/QRQ problem with Orion / ACOM 2000A

n4lq n4lq at iglou.com
Wed Nov 10 14:37:37 EST 2004

Per TenTec...On the Omni VI+, they came out with firmware 1.03 in an
attempt to eliminate the microCHIRP. The revision added a delay to the
keying of the PLL's oscillator. The downside to this is that if you key
above about 64 wpm the PLL's timing went wacko and cw was chopped and
erratic. This is why some of us have gone back to version 1.02. With
this version you can go up to about 70 wpm before weird things begin to
happen. Keying sounds ok at 75 wpm but if you hold down the dit paddle
and listen to yourself in another receiver you will hear a murmur in the
rhythm begin to form.
The Orion had QSK in the earlier firmware versions but due to clicking
in the sidetone and whatever else, they added a delay in later versions
and now QSK is non-existent over about 20 WPM or so. QSK means being
able to hear between dits and dahs. Not many rigs nowdays can do this
without some kind of quirk, be it pops, thumps, clicks or just plain
slowness. ICOMs can do it but not without an external keyer with added
weight compensation. Yaesus are slow. Kenwoods seem to do better in this
department. Kenwood has a real weight control on their internal keyers
and good timing. I don't know how they do at 75 wpm though.
N4LQ Steve