[TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Wed Nov 24 14:29:37 EST 2004

I am about 80% SSB these days but I hope to push in more CW time.
Nevertheless I had a Jupiter and liked it for as far is it went. A very
nice 'modern' transceiver with nicely above average performance in SSB
and CW. I traded my Jupiter for an Omni-6+ which was my original desire.
If I were not balancing budgets all the time I would have kept the
Jupiter as it was a fun rig (I still have my RX-350 which the receiver
from the Jupiter). But I had to make choices and I did and I am not at
all sorry about it. The Omni-6+ is in a class by itself. I am in a very
difficult reception area due to high amounts of electrical noise and
nearby AM Broadcast stations. The Omni-6+ pulls out stations that the
other rigs I have tried (Jupiter, IC-756 Pro II and FT-1000 MP,...) had
trouble with or were just not as easy to listen to.

Last weekend I participated in the ARRL SS sideband contest. The Omni-6+
did a great job for me. My latest additions included an MFJ-434 voice
keyer and a boom mounted Heil  HM-10 dual element mic. I ran the contest
with the rig's processor off nearly all the time and received numerous
unsoliced comments regarding my transmit audio. I am pleased. My Omni-6+
has a full compliment of Ten-Tec IF and roofing crystal filters. Now,
one last comment.... on receive the Omni-6+ is tight for sure. If you
are a genuine 'rag chewer' that tends to operate under more or less
pleasant and easy going conditions then you should use the Jupiter as it
is just more pleasant in SSB. But if you are trying to hear stations
that are buried, etc there is no contest. The Omni-6+ is great.

Just my opinions.

Jerald, KG6TT