[TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Nov 24 15:24:20 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:29:37 -0800, Jerry Volpe wrote:

> If you
>are a genuine 'rag chewer' that tends to operate under more or less
>pleasant and easy going conditions then you should use the Jupiter as it
>is just more pleasant in SSB. But if you are trying to hear stations
>that are buried, etc there is no contest. The Omni-6+ is great.

I agree with that. A month ago, I was running my Omni V barefoot on CW
on the bottom of 80. A few days later, I got an angry email from a guy who
complained that I was QRMing a DX station 1 kHz away. Turns out he
was using a Jupiter.  With my Omni V, I have no trouble 500 Hz from very
big signals in contests.

Why do I mention this in the context of SSB?  Because the Omni V and VI
are far better receivers, near the top of the pack by any measure. The
Jupiter is much further back in the pack. A study of QST reviews and
reviews by other testing labs will bear this out.

My Omni V (more than a generation older than the Omni VI+) is loaded
with Ten Tec filters, including one 1.8 kHz SSB filter. The only thing better
would be a second 1.8 kHz filter, which the Omni VI+ allows. I am quite
pleased with the audio on both receive and transmit. You can crank the
transmit audio and make it quite competitive, but it stays clean.

Bottom line -- the Jupiter is a rag-chewer's radio, the Omni V and VI are
the competition radios, both on CW and SSB.

73,

Jim Brown  K9YC