[TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Nov 25 13:08:11 EST 2004

I've never owned a Jupiter, so this is an educated guess. I suspect it is a
low-cut for the transmit audio. I would set it by ear listening to your
transmit audio and by getting signal reports from smart guys on the
other end, but somewhere in the 400 Hz range is probably a good
starting point.

Think of it this way -- anything below 400 Hz is useless for
communications.  Telephones, for example, transmit nothing below
about 400 Hz.   But your mic will produce a lot of audio below 400 Hz,
and that will use up transmitter power. so filtering it out is a good thing.

The guys on 14.175 would disagree with me. But I'm coming from my
world of REAL pro audio, where the big music systems I design do 105
dBSPL from 30 Hz to 15 kHz for 5,000 people. There's where wide
audio bandwidth is needed -- not on the ham bands.

Jim

bounces at contesting.com]
>On Behalf Of Jim Brown
>Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 7:40 PM
>To: tentec at contesting.com
>Subject: Re: [TenTec] Question regarding Omni VI+ on SSB
>
>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:27:11 -0500, Jeff Frank wrote:
>
>>ll you guys who report about the great audio reports you receive on
ssb
>>with the Omni 6 series please tell me what microphones or
microphone
>hook
>>ups you are using.
>
>Ah -- you bring up a very interesting defect in the design of the Ten Tec
>rigs.
>You can't use a "flat" mic with them, you need to use one that has a
"hyped"

>high end. That's what the Heil mics do. A good mic sounds really dull
and
>bassy on a Ten Tec radio.
>
>I use an RE-27, which is a pretty flat mic (and a damn good one) with
mine.
>But to make it sound good, I had to stick a rather small cap in series
with
>it
>to drastically roll off the low end (-3 dB at roughly 2 kHz). It is absurd
>that it
>should be necessary to do that, but it is. This is a "band-aid," but it
>works. I
>even have an audio file that NY9H recorded off the air several months
ago
>on 20 meters from Chicago, when I was operating this rig at W6BX, a
2,000
>mile path. It's this mic, the cap, and the Omni V. I could email the file if
>
>anyone cares.
>
>The Shure 444 and mics like it have the hyped high end that sounds
pretty
>good with the Omni family of radios. I bought one for that reason. BTW
--
>there's no good reason to spend money on a Heil mic to get that sound
-- a
>used 444, $30 on EBay, will sound at least as good as a Heil. For that
>matter, I bought three Plantronics earsets for $5 each at a hamfest last
>year.
>They get MUCH better reports on my 746 than a Heil does on my K2.
You