[TenTec] Omni VI no TX

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Tue Nov 30 23:25:04 EST 2004

I experienced a problem with my Omni VI today. After having it turned
off for a few hours (which is rare in my shack) with the antenna
feedline disconnected at both ends, I turned it back on and proceeded to
check the antenna system. Noise from the receiver indicated that the
antenna was properly reconnected, so I went to the next step; checking
the SWR. When I keyed the PTT button on the microphone (virtually the
only useful function the microphone has for me) I heard sidetone, yet
had no indication of any TX RF output. Checking all knobs and buttons, I
found nothing in the wrong position. When I checked the PA Collector
Current (I c) it was near 20 Amperes, either unkeyed or keyed. I turned
off the Power switch immediately, fearing parasitic oscillations in the
PA might be frying it. When I turned the power back on all worked as
normal. Anyone else see this happen with an Omni VI?

DE N6KB