[TenTec] amp/tuner advice needed...

Gary Tuck gtuck at mac.com
Fri Oct 1 20:57:51 EDT 2004

I'm considering a medium size amp--500-600w output--to team up with my
Orion.  I would like to maintain QSK since I operate CW the vast
majority of the time.  Should I be looking for a used Centaur or an
older Centurion.  I'm not fond of blower noise at all and while the
Centaur sounds like the right amp, I've read that the noise level is
considerable.  And what about tuners--Is there any difference between
the 238, 238A and 238B than cosmetics?

Have folks had good luck with the MFJ nee Ameritron amps in this output
range.

Sure appreciate your thoughts and advice.  The only amp I've used--and
it was a long time ago- was a Hammarlund and had a pair of 572B's.

Gary