[TenTec] Extra Class Licensing

Jim Miller WB5OXQ wb5oxq at grandecom.net
Tue Oct 5 22:30:18 EDT 2004

I will say A-Men to this.  When I was an elementary school age boy I became
interested in ham radio mostly due to my cousin, WA5OHB, licensed in the
early 60s and to a neighbor K5SMM, both of which were electronic technicians
and could build and repair radio equipment nto to mention their antenna
systems.  Remember kits like Heathkits?  Knightkits?  Kits are not popular
anymore and I doubt many of the new hams want to or would enjoy building a
radio from a kit much less taking military surpluss equipment and converting
it to amateur use.  It is too easy to gop to the candy store and buy
something plug and play.  I will admit i do not know as much aobut
electronics and the early hams did, but my background in electronics helped
me to pass my extra class exam and I did it during the 20 wpm days too.  I
am not a CW fan but I do realize the decline of electronic expertise in
recent licensees and of course memorizing answers to test questions will get
you a license but not knowing the reason that the answer is what it is
causes the decline in new hams ability to design their own antennas or
recognise malfunctions in their equipment.  I am glad to see new hams on the
air but e would like to see more questions that require an understanding of
electronic fundamentals.  I am asked often buy new extra class hams to build
them a simple half wave dipole so they can get on the air.  Many would
rather employ an antenna tuner to make their transciever like a non resonant
and ineffecient antenna work instead of building a correct antenna.  Enough
from here I guess. WB5OXQ