[TenTec] Re: Extra Class Licensing

M.Wood mrwood at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 5 22:42:43 EDT 2004

W6KPI presents a bleak picture, and uses some numbers and an anecdote to make
the case. But consider a different picture with the same data:

#extras / total # amateur licenses.

2000:  77530/678539    =  .114
2004:  105863/674297  =  .157

So the proportion of extras has risen a bit over 4 percentage points in 4
years. Keep in mind that, if the rate of new production of tech and general
licenses slows, the proportion of extras would increase even if the test
remained the same.

Lets be honest, the test _has_ been made easier. But that doesn't mean that
new "welfare" generals and extras (I first heard this term at a ham shop in
Florida --since I got the ticket Aug 2000 it applies to me!) can't get the
spirit of ham radio! I bought a ten tec, built a 30m collinear dipole, and
I'm having a ball with CW! And I'm working on a deeper understanding of radio
(have two bookshelves full at this point) as well. Lighten up some Jim!

Mike K2CSJ