[TenTec] trouble shooting OMNI SIX<<<URGENT>>>

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Mon Oct 25 22:22:28 EDT 2004

Robert,

I'm not with Ten Tec. I also doubt that Ten Tec would respond to your post
to this reflector. The best thing to do if you wish to talk to them about
your problem, is to call the Ten Tec repair department and talk with a tech
named Don.

You described your problem quite well. I would suggest until you get the
Omni 6 repaired that you NOT try to drive your amplifier with it. There is
always the possibility your Omni 6 could damage your Hercules, and I'm sure
you don't want that to happen.

If  you don't mind, I would like to suggest a few things you could do in the
meantime. First, disconnect your Omni 6 from all of your other gear. If you
can do it, test your dummy load with another radio just to make very sure
that you dummy load is OK. It would help if you have an external SWR bridge,
but that's not completely necessary.

Next just connect your RF output from your Omni 6 directly into your dummy
load, if you have an external SWR bridge, connect that between your Omni 6
and your dummy load. This will give you a separate SWR indicator. If you do
have an extra SWR bridge and it reads an SWR that is OK but your Omni 6 SWR
indicator reads high, then you may just have a diode on the Omni 6 circuit
board that is bad. The possibility of the Omni 6 having a problem on it's
SWR circuit board is high because even with a high SWR, your power supply
over current circuit breaker is not tripping on you. Since you can get a
full 100 watts  out of the Omni 6, right now your final transistors are
probably still good (however you really do not want to run at full power
until you get the SWR problem fixed). If the SWR on the Omni 6 reads OK into
a dummy load, then you may have something wrong between the RF output
connector on the Omni 6, all the way out to your 253 tuner. You can locate
that by just removing/replacing one thing at a time. Like hook your amp
directly into the dummy load ant test your system that way. It could be
something like the coax between your Omni 6 RF out put connector and your
Hercules, or even the input circuit on your Hercules amp.

The probability of the T/R relay in the Omni 6 being bad is only a small
one, since you can get RF power output and then your receiver is still
working OK.

If you narrow your problem down to just a bad SWR reading on your Omni 6,
then there is high probability that one or both of the diodes on the SWR
circuit board is bad. But because of the physical location of the SWR
circuit board, unless your familar with the radio, I would suggest you call
Ten Tec and let them do it for you. But on the other hand I just recently
sent an Omni 6 Plus to them for some mods and it took about seven weeks to
get it back.

Good luck with it Robert,

73,

Tom - W4BQF