[TenTec] Re: Resonant antennas

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 8 11:10:09 EDT 2004

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:39:03 -1000, Ken Brown wrote:

>That is my situation
>anyway. I suppose the horizontal sections of my inverted L may give
me
>some QSOs I might not make if I had only a vertical. The horizontal
>section is such a small fraction of a wavelength above ground that the
>angle of radiation from that part of the antenna is very high. Not the
>best for DX. I would much rather have a full quarter wavelength
vertical
>than in iverted L.

Speaking from the position of only thinking about it with my quasi-
mathmatical brain (?) and not modeling it, I view my "dipole feedline
tied together and fed against ground (counterpoise?)" as an quasi-
vertical (the feedline) with a very large capacity hat (the dipole). Now,
the feedline runs horizontally for roughly 20 ft (at about 18 ft above
earth( before it rises to feed the dipole at roughly 50 ft, so even the
"vertical" is far from ideal.   LOTS of ham antennas are far from ideal,
and we have a lot of fun with them anyway. To me, part of the fun is to
make the most of what you have in the way of land, supports, and
geometry.

Jim Brown  K9YC