[TenTec] Orion reflector discussions

Rick Williams rick.williams at telus.net
Wed Sep 8 11:30:32 EDT 2004

James I couldn't agree more!  I too don't have an Orion (I came close but
missed a sale in Canada of a used Orion in March) but I'm thinking of one.
Or is that dreaming.

Sure there are still a lot of warts but not that many that concern me on the
software side.  The hardware issues, in particular, the display darkening
due to a heat issue, still concern me.  I notice, however, that there has
not been too much on the issue recently.  Does this mean everyone has
removed the speaker(?) and put in a fan?  I doubt it.  But I haven't seen
anything indicating that the factory has changed the rig to provide better
cooling.  Is it still an issue?  Are all owners noticing a problem?  Is the
factory looking into it?  The reflector has been strangely quiet.

>From my viewpoint the software improvements made to the Orion have been
remarkable.  And, for the most part, they've been well received by users. I
think (again I must add that I've never used an Orion and my opinion is
derived from discussions on this reflector) the software is fast approaching
my operating needs. That coupled with a stronger Canadian dollar suggests
that perhaps an Orion is getting closer to reality at my QTH.

In all my years of hamming I have NEVER owned a brand new fresh from the
factory HF rig.  If improvements to the Orion continue it's quite likely
that the Orion will be my first.  Hopefully the unfortunate experience of
Eric (ON6CV) won't be repeated with my rig if I take the plunge.

Finally, the reflector is certainly helping me with my research.  Yes the
postings at times have been boring and the flames/cult issues don't add
anything to the discussion.  MOST of the discussion has been constructive -
not always positive but at least constructive.  It's unfortunate that many
shoot from the lip without contributing much to the database - a little more
thought and perhaps a little less coffee before hitting the SEND key might
help in their case. But as others have suggested there still is a DELETE key
on the keyboard.

73,

Rick
VE7TK

Website:  http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 08:43:00 -0500
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames at hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Tired of Orion
To: tentec at contesting.com

What you've got from this list should be useful.  Think about it.  I too
don't have an Orion.  But what I have gotten from this list (IMHO) has
caused me to not immediately go and buy an Orion.  Those gripes are sounds
from some disappointed Orion owners, that should be informative to you.  The
fact that there is quite a bit of gripeing is inormative also.  Now when it
does "lighten up" as you desire and hope for the list, then that will be
informative also.  A bunch of happy Orion owners.  What will it take?  I
think you already know.