[TenTec] new owner Orion

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 20:00:00 EDT 2004

> When I unpacked my Orion the Main tuning knobs fell off.  I guess
> that's why they give you the hex keys.

On the positive side, it saved you the trouble of loosening the knobs a bit
to fine tune the tension :-)

> problem with the cheap LCD screen.

It is called Contrast Adjustment, I believe.  You were expecting 42" of
HDTV in color or something?

> As for the performance of the radio I can not comment as yet.
> I will use my Yaesu Ft 1000 MP/MkV and a Icom 756 ProII to do an A,
> B  and C comparison.

Many others have come before you.  Save yourself some time:

http://www.sherweng.com/Dayton_2004/Dynamic_Range_Data.pdf
http://www.w8ji.com/receiver_tests.htm

>  And what's with an ALC light ?????

Does it do what it's supposed to?  Do you need a meter with precisely the
right ballistics to set ALC peaks  to 4.67 dB?  I don't think "the meter is in
about the right range" to be much different than "the lamp occasionally
flickers" in the accuracy or usefulness department.

>Why did Ten Tec use a mini
> stereo phone plug for the paddle input ????  Everyone else uses a
> standard 1/4" plug.

The Orion has both connectors.  Look around  -- like on the front panel.
haven't found that one after two weeks :-)

> Hey, a $3,500 radio and NO mic ??????

The $11,000 thing from Icom also has no mic.  I have a whole box full of
lousy hand mics that came with a variety of rigs.  You're welcome to one
of them ...

The broom gods are indeed very busy :-)

Grant/NQ5T