[TenTec] new owner Orion

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Thu Sep 9 19:20:07 EDT 2004

Fellas

I down loaded the manual from the Ten Tec web-site before I ordered my
Orion.  I enjoyed reading it.  I took delivery of an Orion in December and
have hardly felt the need to refer to the manual since.  I think that means
the Orion controls are quite intuitive.  I can dive into the menus and make
adjustments easily, because they are tagged in plain English.  Whenever I
needed to make a menu adjustment on any JA rig I've owned I always had to
hunt out the manual and scramble my way through it.

I guess Ten Tec could have made the manual prettier by binding it a little
better and could have included lots more pictures but I have to say that
wouldn't have impressed me much.  Once you get to good enough, any more is
waste.  I take a lot of comfort from the Ten Tec focus on continued product
improvement & good customer service despite the fact I'm a LONG way away
from Dolly Parton Parkway!

Let there be no doubt.....Orion is a world class radio.  That doesn't mean I
won't  criticise it but if you read my postings on this reflector you'll
know that already.  Constructive critcism is a good thing.

BTW I'm not a long term Ten Tec fan.  My first Ten Tec rig was an Omni VI+.
Lots of folks swear by the Omni VI+ but for a number of reasons I never
really got to like it.  I still have my VI+ here in the shack but hardly
ever use it.  The Orion is different.  I have two of them now and they have
completely replaced all the other radios I used in every aspect of my
activity.  They have managed to do that because they are the better than all
my other radios!

There are folks on here say Orion is great and there are folks say it sucks.
You'll only ever make up your own mind if you try it for yourself.

Try it....chances are it'll be the best radio purchase you've ever made.

73 Bob, 5B4AGN

This is scary....even I'm starting to sound like a member of the Ten Tec
cult :-))