[TenTec] N4PY software Orion

Lee Crocker w9oy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 10:38:52 EDT 2004

I use the N4PY software to control the radio almost
exclusively and I have never had to do a reset, except
I did one for good measure after upgrading to the
latest firmware.  The sweep works fine, the display
doesnt go dark, I don't have RF in the MIC, the QSK
works fine, I run 2 amps one on ant. A, one on ant. B,
both QSK, one with handshake, one without, and I have
zero problems.  I don't have key clicks which is more
than I can say for my FT-1000D.  To get rid of the
clicks on the FT-1000 I lost the QSK feature of that
radio anyway.  I just boot the rig, boot the 'puter
and operate.  It is not an adventure.  I operate
casually, contests, and DX.  It has the best reciever
I have ever owned, and it sounds good on SSB.

I do the same with my Pegasus, and have no problems
with that either rig.  I use the POD for controlling
each rig, and I have used windows remote desktop with
Skype to control the rig remotely from anywhere on my
network.  If I wanted to open up my firewall I could
use it from anywhere.

Not sure what all the bad press is about regarding the
Orion.  Best $3000 plus $80 for the software I ever
spent.

73

W9OY