[TenTec] open source

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 23 19:12:59 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Duane A Calvin" <ac5aa at juno.com>
To: <romers at shaw.ca>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec reflector

> It's not "dead" IP if by publishing the source they give away the store
> on their implementation of DSP noise reduction, etc.   There may be other
> functionality that is in the process of being protected (assuming they
> bother to do patents), and if not, they're taking the trade secret route.
>  If that's the case, they're never going to open source it.
>
>         73,  Duane

Duane, since I've received a number of personal replies along similar lines
as yours below, I will take the liberty of replying to the group:

To address your point directly:  If TT is looking at the prospect of selling
or restricting it's intellectual property as a future revenue source, they
need to pay far more attention to getting it right the first time -- which
they don't seem to be doing right now .  At least from the standpoint of
outward behaviour, I don't think they have much interest in protecting, for
example, the Jupe's NR system that starts with 15db loss of audio and gets
worse from there.

 My point is, that the above example is something that can be fixed (along
with a host of other things) probably in firmware. But who will bell the
cat?  If the Jupiter (and don't think this can't happen a year or so down
the road to the Orion) is now a mature product and development has for all
intents and purposes, stopped, we are left with something less than
advertised ("Probably the last radio you will buy", or something like that);
and that is less than satisfactory.

Since we all have become beta testers by default, I think TT has a moral
obligation to either make it all happen or let someone else have a crack at
it.  There's no shame in this -- TT has not failed, rather they have led the
way. They fail only if they disappoint -- and I for one would be very
disappointed if they made a radio, wouldn't fix it and allowed no-one else
to fix it either.  Hopefully they're much smarter than to let that happen.

I think there is an enormous opportunity here for TT partner up with its
customers in a way that enriches both sides.

Best,
jerome - VA7VV