[TenTec] open source

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 20:35:50 EDT 2004

Actually I think they could achieve the desired effect
of continued development by releasing the source to to
a carefully chosen select few who will take the ball
and run with it. That way they can maintain a high
degree of control over the future code releases
without the direct overhead cost of continued
development on their own. They would just need to
structure such an agreement so that those who actually
get the access do actually do something with it, not
just sit on it. A free-for-all GPL like approach may
actually hurt the ADSP21xx DSP based radios reputation
in the long run. Too many folks would be hacking away
at the code (that shouldn't be) and handing it out to
just anybody, that could turn into a big mess in a
hurry. I can understand TT's reluctance to make it
truly open source for that reason alone. They should
provide this same small group the source for the
Jupiter's siblings Pegasus/516/RX350 since they all
share such a high degree of commonality in the DSP
code.

Duane (the other one)
N9DG