[TenTec] real CW ops

Ynkedragon@aol.com Ynkedragon at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 17:20:51 EDT 2005

In a message dated 04/07/2005 17:05:36 Eastern Daylight Time,
reed_ww3a at alltel.net writes:

<< I have heard of that term "Lake Erie Swing" for many years, and never
heard an
 actual definition. What sending characteristics constitute a "Lake Erie
 Swing", and does anyone know the origin of the term? >>

I was told by an "old timer" that a Lake Erie swing was CW sent with a
(noticeably) shorter than 3:1 dash-dot ratio, i.e., 2:1.  Supposedly some of the
ship-board sparks operators aboard Great Lakes iron & grain boats sent CW this
way.  I've heard CW sent this way, and find it rather difficult to copy .

If anyone has a better explanation, feel free to correct me.

73,  Blair K3YD