[TenTec] Audio blues

George Skoubis george.skoubis at verizon.net
Thu Apr 14 00:16:42 EDT 2005

Hi Larry,

    I consistently get "great audio" comments.  From DX as well as domestic
contacts.  I don't use any external audio processing or really expensive
microphones (Heil HC5, Astatic DNHZ, and Sennheiser HMD280 headset).

  I'd disconnect the mic connector at the rig and reconnect it (just unscrew
it and put it back on) that plating isn't the greatest conductor for a
ground connection.  I also run my PTT from the DIN connector on the rear of
the rig rather then use the mic connector ground for "-" audio from the
microphone and for grounding the PTT circuit.

  Another possibility is a ground loop, if you have the Orion connected to a
computer unplug the soundcard connections to the Orion and see if your
signal reports improve.  If they do then purchase a couple of audio
isolation transformers and put them into the circuit to isolate the grounds
between your Orion and the computer.  Ground the case of the computer to
your 1 point station ground.

  Are you using real microphone cable?  2 conductors and a 100% shield?  The
shield should be connected to the mic 4 pin connector at the rig end but try
leaving it float at the microphone end.  Connect the mic + and - to the two
audio wires and see if the audio clears up.

  That is how my microphones were wired before Bob Heil wrote this document.

  http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/Images/Orion_Grounding.pdf

  I made this mod to my Orion and now can use XLR connectors (and proper mic
cables).

  I don't have a great ground system, our house is on a hill and the
hamshack side of the house is on the second floor.  I have a long ground
wire...  If I opened a window and took out the screen I could touch my
tower...  The antenna is about 35 feet directly above my shack.  I have a
Titan amp and can run 1500 watts and use CW, RTTY, or SSB and get good
signal reports (I've had the Orion for a year).

  I think you'll get your SSB audio straightened out with a little
troubleshooting...

73,

George / KF9YR