[TenTec] ARRL "regulation by bandwidth" NOW ON TOPIC!

K4IA@aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Fri Apr 15 09:07:21 EDT 2005

I can get this on topic!  Follow me...

In a message dated 4/15/2005 1:00:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
k3tx at fast.net writes:

> [...]
of incentive  licensing.  It was FCC;  ARRL did what could be done to
make what  FCC  was going to do anyway as acceptable as possible to  the
masses. <<<<<<<

That is not how I recall it.  ARRL got its butt burned when the FCC  took
away 11 meters.  CB turned out to be incredibly popular and ARRL  wanted to do
something to distinguish us from the unwashed masses of CB  operators. I
remember that argument being a prime reason for the incentive  licensing.   Incentive
licensing was a fiasco as many predicted  and cost ham radio and the ARRL
dearly.  Many remain embittered to this  day.

Now for the on topic part:

The good news is that software upgradeable radios ala TT will be able to
adjust to changes.  It would be nice if there was a feature that guaranteed  you
wouldn't be wider than x hz no matter how badly you adjusted things.   Okay, I
know it shouldn't be necessary, but in spite of continued reminders,  most
PSK signals are too wide and we hear splatter all over the SSB  bands.  The FT
1000x's key clicks should have made that radio "type  unacceptable" if the FCC
had been paying attention when it went through the  approval process.  Yaesu
should be ashamed.  Unfortunately, all those  "shoulds" do not make it "so."

How feasible is it to design the software so the radio can not be  overdriven
or overdrive?  TT contributed to the problem and not the  solution when it
failed to put an ALC output on the Orion.  It  shouldn't cost more than 50 cents
for a wire and jack but they left it  out.  Does anyone have a mod to add an
ALC jack to the Orion?

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA