[TenTec] boost mobile voltage?

Bob Stephens bstephens1 at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 26 23:00:43 EDT 2005

Thanks everyone. I think this thread is close to being finished.

Given my tendency to be absent minded and not very careful around things
that I should be careful around, I have decided to go with a gel cell type
for safety reasons. However, there are different types of gel cells. Which
is best?

Review.

1. Ten Tecs are known for operating best at  13+ volts, however, the
previous owner of my Corsair, Clark WA3JPG, has stated that he ran the rig
on deep cycle marine batteries successfully. My *guess* is that the Corsair
may work ok down to 11.5 amps but not any lower, so the practical effect is
that the rig probably won't operate as long on a given battery as a more
flexible rig might. I would de-rate the the amp hours by 50%. I'll guess
that a 65 amp hour battery will power a Corsair for no more than 7 or maybe
8 hours. (given the voltage needs of the rig)

I hope to operate the New England QSO party about 4 to maybe 5 hours the
first day, then trickle charge the battery overnight and operate at least 4
to 7hours on Sunday. I want to be able to count on at least 8 total hours
from the battery.

Here are 3 possible batteries. Could the battery experts recommend one for
this particular application?

a.Optima deep cycle yellow top battery (from Sears) (car type gel cel)

b. AGM 79 amp hour glass mat battery from West Mountain Radio - (3000 10%
discharges or 200 full discharges)

c.73.6 amp hour gelled battery from West mtn Radio - (5000 10% discharges -
or 500 full discharges.)

Are there any significant differences between these batteries? Keeping in
mind the Corsair's (possible) finicky voltage need, and the possibility
that I'll end up getting the 13.8 voltage booster, which battery is likely
to work best, and be most worry free?

tnx -Bob KB1CIW