[TenTec] Orion and TVI

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at tomorrowsweb.com
Thu Apr 28 23:40:07 EDT 2005

Giuseppe:

First of all no one loves Ten-Tec more than I do and few for as long as
I have. While some may choose to argue the following point it has been
my continuous experience that the majority of Ten-Tec transceivers that
I have owned (and those that I still do) have all demonstrated RF
sensitivity issues to one degree or another.... as least when compared
to other brand transceivers that I owned at the same time. As a
consequence I have learned to pay close attention to my station's
equipment interconnections to minimize the possibilities or accidental
RF pickup on the leads to and from the transceivers.... and do my best
to have an effective RF station ground.... keep my antennas as far as
practically possible from my station (not always an easy thing to do).
With all this in mind I have 'cleaned' up my station so my Ten-Tec
transceivers are happy now. While I have yet to buy an Orion (you lucky
fellow)... I had a Jupiter, an Omni-C, and a 540.... and I still have an
Omni-VI Plus, Paragon, a Century 21, and two Scouts.

And with some relevance to your situation I also have a TS-940SAT (one
of the aspects I like most about it is its far greater immunity to stray
RF pickup and its very clean internal AC power supply).

If you are experiencing TVI issues and you have only switched
transceivers from the Kenwood to the Orion and you are not over-driving
the Orion's mic circuits (or running a nasty impedance mismatch there)
it is my suspicion that RF is getting into the Orion. Temporarily
simplify your rig to antenna setup to the absolute minimum to see if
this reduces the TVI problems. Be sure your power supply has RF filters
on the AC input and that there are RF suppressors on the output as well
(appropriate ferrite beads can do a decent job there). In my environment
it seems that much of my hot RF issues come from equipment connections
to the house AC main.

I did the following at my station when I installed my 'very rf
sensitive' Jupiter last year:
1.  Multiple ferrite beads (appropriate mix) on all power and signal
lines to the Jupiter and the computer connected to it. Eventually all
devices somehow sharing a common signal path.... even signal ground
ended up having ferrite beads on them, but by far the ones that had the
greatest impact were on the Jupiter, its external power supply and the
station computer.
2.  Most equipment share the house safety ground via the third prong AC
ground. This is NOT the RF ground.
3. The station RF ground (station on second floor) connects to the
station antenna tuner ground only. This ground is via a piece of RG-213
with the center and shield connected together at the ground rod and ONLY
the center connector fastened to the antenna tuner (knowledgeable RF
engineers know why I did this).
4. I do not have additional ground straps in the station other than from
the transceiver's external power supplies and their associated
transceivers (minimize DC voltage drop).
5. I have isolating 1:1 current baluns installed at the antennas and I
use RG-213 or better coax everywhere.
6. Oh, yes I DO have a very nice Nye Viking lowpass filter directly
after the transceiver (err after the Centaur actually). The additional
minimum signal loss is easily forgiven for the extra peace of mind
provided by an additional 40-80 dB of reduction to transmitted harmonic
and other out-of-band signals.

One last thing to consider... once again your Orion's power supply.
Place an accurate DC voltmeter directly across the DC input connector of
the Orion and key down at 100 watts. Check what the voltage drops to. I
have yet to see a Ten-Tec that is very forgiving of any operating
voltage below 12 vdc. Check the manual to be sure. If your voltage is
dropping too far this will take the rig out of its design parameters and
all bets are off on it signal purity. Be sure the power supply has a
brute force RF filter on its input and that it is grounded to the
station's common safety ground.

Hope some of this is useful to you.

I had a Triton IV (540) when I lived in Texas in 1976-1980. I loved that
rig but gosh it was RF sensitive and I felt it all the time. Over the
years I have learned the smorgasborg of things that add up to pretty
good operating.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT