[TenTec] FW: 565 Orion v2.0 firmware released to beta

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Fri Aug 26 00:20:34 EDT 2005

At Thursday 06:50 PM 8/25/2005, you wrote:
>Who on this reflector actually thinks and believes there is a large
>network of Beta testers that are testing version 2.0 software for
>ORION I? I would agree there are probably a number of people testing the
>Orion II.  Call me cynical, but O I owners are going to be left twisting
>in the wind. Oh sure they can take the latest 1.372 ( or what ever the
>last release was ) and slap a 2.0 on it , but an actual an improvement
>in the interface speed and and real bug fixes are probably not possible
>due to processor limitations. Face it, O I was an experimental radio and
>O I owners are the test subjects. O2 has the hardware that supports what
>they said the radio  could really do. My O I works except for occasional
>crashes or lockups, but I will not be upgrading to O II. Actions speak
>louder than words and I am waiting for that action that TT has promised
>for O I  owners ( actually I don't think TT has promised anything more
>for O I owners, some people on the list just think O II technology will
>fix O I defects. seems we have list members making promises for TT!!!)
>
>Chuck
Chuck....obviously you have some 'inside' information that the rest
of us don't have. Ten Tec announced when the Orion 2 would be
released. All testing on v2, at this point, by the beta testers, is
being done on the volunteers own radio(s) and that I am aware, there
are no Orion 2's in anyones hands except the folks at Ten Tec.

"A large network of Beta testers...." Hell no there is not a 'large'
group of testers simply because it is so much simpler to sit back on
one's duff and whimper than it is to actually volunteer and do the work.

Tommy - W4BQF